Indian Mills Historical Society
Home About Us Membership/Events Education/Outreach Newsletter Contact Us
 
 
The Indian Mills Historical Society has selected the following sites to highlight.

Atsion Village

Atsion Village is a historical site originally established by Charles Read in 1765 as an iron forge and later re-established by Samuel Richards, the son of the owner of the Batsto Furnace. A large home was later built by Richards, known as the Atsion Mansion, became the summer residence of the Richards family. A small village developed around the iron furnace and Mansion that included a grist mill, three sawmills, a church, a school, a company store and several other homes. The Mansion, the school and several other buildings still survive. The Mansion is open for tours on weekends during the summer months. Atsion Village is located off Route 206.

Red Men's Hall

Another historic site in Indian Mills known as Red Menís Hall was originally established as a Baptist Church. Later it became the meeting place of a menís social and benevolent group known as The Improved Order of Red Men. Red Menís Hall is located on Stokes Road.


Dr. James Still, the Black Doctor of the Pines, was born in Indian Mills in 1812. His parents, Levin and Charity Still lived most of their married life in Indian Mills and raised 9 children there. Levin, Charity and Dr. Stillís first wife and child are buried in Indian Mills in a site just recently cleared with the assistance of many members of the Society and students from the Indian Mills IMAGE program. The site was dedicated on May 9, 2012. The site is located off Stokes Road and Rutland Court.

Additional Homes

Some other interesting historical sites in the area are the Gardner Home, home to a State Senator and Civil War veteran. Bedford Mills, the site of the grist and sawmill. Before it was rebuilt after a fire it had been the site of an Indian gristmill.

The individual villages of Dingletown, Brothertown, Edgepillock, Dellett, Indian Mills and Atsion and parts of Medford, Southampton and Woodland townships were incorporated into Shamong Township in February 1852.

Indian Mills Historical Society
609.351.0073